Two Traffic Attendants (TAs), Tommy Robinson and Davy Thompson, provided vital assistance to a motorist in Derry/Londonderry last Monday, 1 September.
Tommy was carrying out duties along Pump Street when he spotted that a motorist had opened his car bonnet to a plume of smoke; flames rapidly engulfed the front of the vehicle. Quick thinking Tommy ran into a shop borrowed a fire extinguisher and extinguished the fire.
TA Davy, who was returning to his beat, saw what was happening and called the fire services. Davy then ensured the safety of other vehicles by ensuring traffic was diverted away from the incident.
Tommy and Davy, who are employed by NSL and working on behalf of Transport Northern Ireland, said: “It is all in a day’s work, we are happy to assist the general public and just happened to be in the right place at the right time.”
Tommy and Davy’s Manager, Dougie McCaw, said: Thankfully, there were no injuries. If it was not for our TAs and their rapid response to the incident, there would have been further damage or even injuries, so a big well done to both.
For further information, please contact Afrika Morris, Communications Executive, on 0208 991 8897 or 07920 278 164.
Notes to Editors:
NSL delivers services in regulated public environments, where we provide the expertise to develop, resource, and manage complex outsourced services to achieve our clients’ outcomes.
- NSL employs more than 5,300 people and has over 100 offices throughout the UK. NSL provides tailored solutions for the following sectors:
- Local Government – CCTV Monitoring control centres, and off-street enforcement services; NSL is the UK’s biggest employer of Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), Parking Attendants, and Traffic Attendants. NSL manages over 500 car-parks and delivers effective traffic management enforcement services for most of the UK’s major cities, including Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, and London – where NSL works in partnership with 18 Boroughs. CCTV Monitoring control centres.
- Health – non-emergency and specialist patient transport services. Car park management. Transport logistics and planning.
- Airports – Passenger transport and related services.
- Central Government – identity validation solutions, and back office business processing operations, including Shared Service Centres in Croydon, Coventry and Oldham for Transport for London (TfL), Local Government and the NHS.
- Consultancy – NSL provides a wide range of consultancy services, including parking design, traffic modelling, urban design and road safety engineering.
- NSL is an Investor in People Champion, and was awarded an Investor in People GOLD Award, joining the top 2% of UK organisations to have achieved the prestigious standard, which is given only to organisations who can demonstrate excellence in developing and supporting their staff.