A 24-year-old man has been handed a six months prison sentence after sexually assaulting a female Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) on Moore Street, Rochdale last August.
The offender, Bartlomiej Piotr Szmyt of Drake Street, Rochdale was a passenger of a vehicle whose owner refused to move on from a loading bay.
Bartlomiej, who acted inappropriately towards the CEO, appeared before Bury Magistrates Court on January 8, where he was found guilty.
Bartlomiej was also ordered by Magistrates to comply with the sex offenders register for seven years, and pay £250 compensation.
Councillor Jacqui Beswick, Cabinet member for Housing and Environment at Rochdale Borough Council, said: “The CEOs work hard to maintain safe and congestion free roads and deserve to be treated respectfully whilst carrying out their duties. Such behaviour will not be tolerated under any circumstances and I’m pleased that this sentencing reflects that.”
The CEO’s Manager, Tony Hunt, said: “Any assault on a CEO is unacceptable to say the least, especially incidents of this nature. The work that our valued colleagues undertake is a necessity, and members of the public need to remember that there is a person under the uniform. NSL will continue to work with all partner agencies to ensure incidents against its CEOs are pursued to the full extent of the law.”
For further information, please contact Afrika Morris, Communications Executive, on 020 8991 8897 or 07920 278164.
Notes to Editors
NSL delivers services in regulated public environments, where we provide the expertise to develop, resource, and manage complex outsourced services to achieve our clients’ desired outcomes.
NSL employs more than 5,250 people and has over 280 offices throughout the UK. NSL provides tailored solutions for the following sectors:
- Local Government – on and off-street enforcement services; NSL is the UK’s biggest employer of Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), Parking Attendants, and Traffic Attendants. NSL manages over 500 car-parks and delivers effective traffic management enforcement services for most of the UK’s major cities, including Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, and London – where NSL works in partnership with 18 Boroughs.
- Health –non-emergency and specialist patient transport services.
- Airports – Passenger transport and related services.
- Central Government – Enforcement services, including vehicle excise duty and mooring, right-to-work and right-to-rent checks, debt recovery, taxi licensing services, and back office business processing operations.
- Consultancy – NSL provides a wide range of consultancy services, including parking design, traffic modelling, urban design and road safety engineering.