03 February 2014
Kensington and Chelsea schools celebrate road safety
Thirty-nine pupils from schools throughout the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea last week celebrated their winning entries that made the borough’s annual road safety calendar.
This year marks the twelfth anniversary of the calendar project, and more than 1,000 artistic youngsters from twenty-four schools participated. The event has been sponsored since its launch by NSL’s urban design consultancy, Project Centre – Kensington and Chelsea’s highways and traffic partner.
School pupils were invited to submit pictures on the themes of Road Safety and Sustainable Travel, which then gave the judges the difficult task of selecting winners. The winners were welcomed to the borough’s parlour, where they were awarded certificates and book tokens.
Eight-year old, Daisy Field of Barlby School, had her artwork was chosen for 2014 calendar’s front cover. Daisy’s pictures of meercats waiting at a zebra crossing exemplify the message – Travel safely and sustainably.
The project was started by Cllr Mrs Frances Taylor, who has dedicated many years of service to Road Safety and Public Transport.
Mark Underwood, Chief Executive Officer at NSL said: “We are really proud to sponsor this project, which gives pupils the opportunity to express their creative side. NSL and Project Centre will continue to support this event; it’s a great way of bringing road safety transport issues into the classroom. The pictures were great, the atmosphere was joyful, and it was a delight to be there”
PICCAP: Left to right: Sidonie Forrest-Brown (RBKC), Mahmood Siddiqi (RBKC and H&F Director of Transport and Highways), Mrs June Williams, Mayoress of RBKC, Mark Underwood, NSL’s CEO, Cllr Charles Williams, Mayor of RBKC, Cllr Mrs Frances Taylor RBKC, Mark Hudson (PCL), Mark Raisbeck Group Business Development Director for NSL and PCL Mike Gilroy (PCL), Neil Simpson (PCL), Marina Kroyer (RBKC)
Notes to Editors
For further information, please contact Afrika Morris, NSL Media Officer, on 0208 991 8897 or 07920 278 164.
- NSL employs more than 4,600 people and has over 100 offices throughout the UK. NSL provides tailored solutions for the following markets:
- Patient and Passenger Transport –non-emergency and specialist NHS patient transport services. Passenger transport services across Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
- Business Processing – identity validation solutions, and back office operations, including Shared Service Centres in Croydon, Coventry and Oldham for Transport for London (TfL), Local Government and the NHS.
- Enforcement – on and off-street enforcement services; NSL is the UK’s biggest employer of Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), Parking Attendants, and Traffic Attendants. NSL manages over 500 car-parks and delivers effective traffic management enforcement services for most of the UK’s major cities, including Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, and London – where NSL works in partnership with 18 Boroughs.
- Consultancy – NSL provides a wide range of consultancy services, including parking design, traffic modelling, urban design and road safety engineering.
- NSL is an Investor in People Champion, and was awarded an Investor in People GOLD Award, joining the top 2% of UK organisations to have achieved the prestigious standard, which is given only to organisations who can demonstrate excellence in developing and supporting their staff.