Clapham’s Old Town Regeneration Project has earned its second accolade. The recent London Transport Awards’ ‘Excellence in Cycling and Walking’ scoop follows ‘Best New Public Space’, which was awarded in January by the London Planning Awards.
Project Centre, NSL’s award-winning technical design consultancy, acted as the scheme’s lead traffic designers, providing transport modelling and devising the highway layout for the London Borough of Lambeth Council. Project Centre was also responsible for designing the bespoke architectural lighting, which helped make cycling and walking much more appealing.
Another project, Southall Broadway Boulevard, earned a ‘highly commended’ from the LTA judges, in the category of ‘Most Innovative Transport Project’. Project Centre saw the project through from conception to implementation for London Borough of Ealing Council.
Southall Broadway Boulevard has achieved a much less conventional and unique design, which meets the needs of the community, which was thoroughly engaged and active in the design process.
Some of the unique design features include adjacent benches to facilitate face-to-face conversations, as opposed to the more conventional side-by-side benches in other boroughs.
The design team adopted contemporary concepts that have been used on smaller schemes. The creative heart of the project was to take these concepts and scale them up onto a significantly busier street. In addition, by dividing the street into two distinctive zones that repeated themselves, a sense of rhythm and spatial hierarchy was created, slowing traffic and reinforcing pedestrian priority and movement at key points.
Project Centre was also pleased to be included on the shortlist for the Transport Supplier of the Year category, alongside several industry heavyweights such as Bombardier, Cubic and the winner, Thales.
Kevin Donnelly, Regional Director at Project Centre, said: “The award for Clapham Old Town, coming so soon on the heels of its first, is fantastic and serves, once again, as testament to the very talented people we have at Project Centre. We are proud of all that we do, but particularly so for our work on Southall Broadway Boulevard; what made the project special was the close engagement and interest of the local community, which resulted in a design the community can own and take full pride in.”
For further information please contact Afrika Morris, Communications Executive, on 0208 991 8897or 07920 278 164.
Notes to Editors
NSL delivers services in regulated public environments, where we provide the expertise to develop, resource, and manage complex outsourced services to achieve our clients’ desired outcomes.
NSL employs more than 5,300 people and has over 280 offices throughout the UK. NSL provides tailored solutions for the following sectors:
- Local Government – on and off-street enforcement services; NSL is the UK’s biggest employer of Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), Parking Attendants, and Traffic Attendants. NSL manages over 500 car-parks and delivers effective traffic management enforcement services for most of the UK’s major cities, including Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, and London – where NSL works in partnership with 18 Boroughs.
- Health –non-emergency and specialist patient transport services.
- Airports – Passenger transport and related services.
- Central Government – Enforcement services, including vehicle excise duty and mooring, right-to-work and right-to-rent checks, debt recovery, taxi licensing services, and back office business processing operations.
- Consultancy – NSL provides a wide range of consultancy services, including parking design, traffic modelling, urban design and road safety engineering.