The Belfast bike share scheme: Coca-Cola Zero Belfast Bikes, which launched just three months ago is already so popular that there are 1,000 rentals in a day. In the first week of operation, the scheme out-performed the start of Glasgow’s – and even beat the famous Boris bikes’ in London. By the third week of operation in Belfast, there were more than 4,486 individual users.
There are currently 300 Coca-Cola Zero Belfast Bikes at 30 stations across the city centre, and Belfast City Council (BCC) is preparing to expand the number of stations across the city. The Scheme is operated by NSL and funded by BCC and the Department for Regional Development (DRD NI), and is sponsored by Coca-Cola Zero.
The Scheme isn’t NSL’s first venture into public hire bikes. Its award-winning technical consultancy, Project Centre, was involved in the planning of London’s Barclays Bikes – and the London Borough of Waltham Forest’s mini-Holland scheme, which is underway.
Mark Hoskin, NSL Local Government Director, said: “NSL is delighted to be operating this well received scheme. It has been three fantastic months; these bikes give people a superb option for any short journey across town. Cycling saves money, provides great health benefits and it’s good for the environment.”
For further information, please contact Afrika Morris, Communications Executive, on 0208 991 8897 or 07920 278 164.
NSL delivers services in regulated public environments, where we provide the expertise to develop, resource, and manage complex outsourced services to achieve our clients’ outcomes.
NSL employs more than 5,300 people and has over 300 offices throughout the UK. NSL provides tailored solutions for the following sectors:
- Local Government – on and off-street enforcement services; NSL is the UK’s biggest employer of Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), Parking Attendants, and Traffic Attendants. NSL manages over 500 car-parks and delivers effective traffic management enforcement services for most of the UK’s major cities, including Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, and London – where NSL works in partnership with 18 Boroughs.
- Health –non-emergency and specialist patient transport services.
- Airports – Passenger transport and related services.
- Central Government – DVLA VED enforcement, identity validation solutions, and back office business processing operations, including Shared Service Centres in Croydon, Coventry and Oldham for Transport for London (TfL), Local Government and the NHS.
- Consultancy – NSL provides a wide range of consultancy services, including cycle scheme design and consultancy, parking design, traffic modelling, urban design and road safety engineering.
- NSL is an Investor in People Champion, and was awarded an Investor in People GOLD Award, joining the top 2% of UK organisations to have achieved the prestigious standard, which is given only to organisations who can demonstrate excellence in developing and supporting their staff.