NSL’s CCTV safety car, which deters dangerous parking outside Rochdale schools, has been renamed ‘Star’ following a competition run by Rochdale Borough Council.
The new name was chosen by Angel Dutton from St. Mary’s C.E. Primary School. Angel was presented with her prize, a Kindle Fire HD tablet donated by NSL, at a surprise school assembly. NSL also donated colouring books and crayons for all of Angel’s classmates, who helped her choose the car’s new name.
Councillor Jean Hornby, Assistant Cabinet Member for Housing and Environment, attended the assembly and presented Angel with her certificate. She said: “Star the School Safety Car is a brilliant name and will help deter the minority of parents from parking dangerously outside schools.
“As a council, we are committed to improving road safety around our schools. We expect that the new name will encourage pupils to talk about the car with their parents – helping to enhance safety and reduce the illegal parking.”
NSL’s Local Government Director, Mark Hoskin, said: “We were really pleased to be a part of this fantastic competition, and Angel chose such a great name – we’re hoping that the car plays a starring role – with help from the school children – in helping to deter and eliminate dangerous and inconsiderate parking outside schools.”
Star the School Safety Car will soon display the new name with visible graphics to make her stand out and deter dangerous parking.
Since April 2014 a camera car has been deployed by the council to tackle inconsiderate, dangerous and often illegal parking outside schools.
There is a longstanding problem with illegal, unsafe parking outside schools as parked cars can block sight lines which prevent children being able to see, or be seen clearly by on-coming traffic.
Notes to Editors
NSL delivers services in regulated public environments, where we provide the expertise to develop, resource, and manage complex outsourced services to achieve our clients’ desired outcomes.
NSL employs more than 5,300 people and has over 280 offices throughout the UK. NSL provides tailored solutions for the following sectors:
- Local Government – on and off-street enforcement services; NSL is the UK’s biggest employer of Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), Parking Attendants, and Traffic Attendants. NSL manages over 500 car-parks and delivers effective traffic management enforcement services for most of the UK’s major cities, including Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, and London – where NSL works in partnership with 18 Boroughs.
- Health –non-emergency and specialist patient transport services.
- Airports – Passenger transport and related services.
- Central Government – Enforcement services, including vehicle excise duty and mooring, right-to-work and right-to-rent checks, debt recovery, taxi licensing services, and back office business processing operations.
- Consultancy – NSL provides a wide range of consultancy services, including parking design, traffic modelling, urban design and road safety engineering.