A community group, set up by Tower Hamlets Homes’ resident, Abdul Hannan, is thriving thanks to NSL’s generous contribution. The Redcoat Active community group was set up to encourage men over the age of 40 to get active. The cost of traditional gyms was a big barrier for residents and Abdul wanted to set up a low cost alternative that could encourage older men to get fit.
The Redcoats Community Centre now hosts the group, and their sessions mainly involve free aerobic exercise. In the past, the group self-funded all of their activities but always lacked the best equipment to get the most out of their exercise sessions.
NSL heard about the scheme through Neighbourhood Engagement Officer, Raju Noor and offered support. A £823 cheque was recently donated to the group, which will pay for the exercise space and brand new equipment, skipping ropes, boxing gloves and occasional visits to other sports facilities.
Approximately twenty Tower Hamlets residents use the group each week and the class helps them to keep their blood pressure in check and prevent the onset of diabetes.
Abdul Hannan, the group’s founding member explained that the health benefits of exercising are the spur that keeps the group going. Abdul said: “I had high blood pressure and when I learned about the health benefits of a good diet and exercise, I thought this would be a good idea. Now my blood pressure is normal.”
Raju Noor, THH Neighbourhood Engagement Officer said: “Sustaining vibrant neighbourhoods and helping our residents engage with the community is one of our key priorities. This amazing contribution from NSL will motivate the group to keep going.”
NSL’s Account Director, Neil Hutchings, said: “NSL is delighted to contribute to this worthwhile cause with our partners in Tower Hamlets. It is great to offer benefits to the wider community and to provide some much needed equipment to this group.”
Notes to Editors
NSL delivers services in regulated public environments, where we provide the expertise to develop, resource, and manage complex outsourced services to achieve our clients’ desired outcomes.
NSL employs more than 5,300 people and has over 280 offices throughout the UK. NSL provides tailored solutions for the following sectors:
- Local Government – on and off-street enforcement services; NSL is the UK’s biggest employer of Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), Parking Attendants, and Traffic Attendants. NSL manages over 500 car-parks and delivers effective traffic management enforcement services for most of the UK’s major cities, including Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Belfast, and London – where NSL works in partnership with 18 Boroughs.
- Health –non-emergency and specialist patient transport services.
- Airports – Passenger transport and related services.
- Central Government – Enforcement services, including vehicle excise duty and mooring, right-to-work and right-to-rent checks, debt recovery, taxi licensing services, and back office business processing operations.
- Consultancy – NSL provides a wide range of consultancy services, including parking design, traffic modelling, urban design and road safety engineering.